On Monday, May 24 the M/T PreK class and Mrs. Levesque 5th grade worked on the nature trail. This work included:
- Installing new trail signs- purchased through a grant from Maranacook Education Foundation (MEF)
- Installing new birdhouses -donated by the Dunn family & painted by preK
- Trail maintenance- with equipment purchased through a grant from MEF
- pruning, raking & reducing tick habitat- by widening trail, removing dead leaves and pruning
The trail was created in 1995 by the students in Mr. Bean’s 5th grade class and Faye Trafton’s 3rd grade class. A preK student’s Mom was in Faye Trafton’s class when the trail was established. Her Dad helped with a lot of the carpentry work then and he was here again - 26 years later to help his granddaughter. Thanks, Larry Dunn!
On Thursday, May 27, the Th/F PreK class helped install the new trail benches made by the MCHS I.A. program with wood purchased through the MEF grant. They raked and placed their painted ladybugs throughout the trail.
Special thanks to:
- The Maranacook Education Foundation for the trail grant
- The Dunn family for the birdhouses, replacing shingles on the KAT shed roof and repairing the small bridge
- Volunteers- Kathy & Brian Tarbuck, Caroline & Patrick Welch & Larry Dunn & grandson Garrett
- Knowles Lumber for shingles to repair the trail shed roof
- Maranacook I.A. for building 6 new benches for the trail